Valuable Content Award for inspirational marketing that makes people smile
Giving glue a personality isn’t the easiest thing to do, but the team at Sugru has done just that.
“Sugru is mouldable glue. Stick it, shape it and it will turn into rubber. We invented it to make fixing and making easy and fun. And now it comes in 10 handy colours! Do-ers of the world, it’s time to get excited.”
Their celebration of the do-ers of the world is what drives their content, and it’s what gives a practical product a very human face. We think they fully deserve a special Christmas Valuable Content Award. Here’s why.
Loveable and sticky
The Sugru ‘Our Story’ page on their website sets the tone.
“While studying for my MA in Product Design (read ‘playing and experimenting with materials’) at the RCA in London, I had a bit of an idea. “I don’t want to buy new stuff all the time. I want to hack the stuff I already have so it works better for me.” (I didn’t really say it out loud. I just thought it.)”
And this tone is carried over to the rest of the site.
There’s a gallery of fascinating stories and pictures showing how people use the product (to fix skis to get to the North Pole, to fix a camera to a plane for aeronautical stunt filming, to make your iPhone drop-proof in the hands of a 3 year old). The combination of brilliant mini stories and smiling faces (the Sugru team stars in many of the videos) means you can’t help but like the product and the people behind it.
We interviewed Sugru’s founder Jane Ní Dhulchaointigh for a case study for the new edition of Valuable Content Marketing. We loved what she had to say about their approach:
“We need a way to tell stories that makes people think that the world really will be a better place if we mend things. The way we find that easiest to do is though good video and content that brings the whole story alive.
Tone is really, really important so we just try and have fun with that and be a bit cheeky. It’s all about enjoying finding out about this stuff and making people want to give it a go.”
How much fun can you have with glue? Too much, we reckon. Check out their brilliant Joy of Fix campaign. Guaranteed to make you laugh out loud.
Congratulations Sugru people! Your award badges are on their way. We’re mighty impressed with the winning content you create. (And now we’re off to buy a load of Sugru for Christmas presents!)
Takeaways from Sugru
- Inspire a community. Make your marketing less about selling and more about giving. And get your customers to tell your story – that’s marketing gold.
- Fix that thing! Here’s a company that knows why it exists, with a mission that’s bigger than glue. This super clear message runs through everything Sugru says and does. You can find your business story too.
- Make your customers the heroes. They’re the best advocates you’ll ever get.
- Make people smile. A company that makes you feel good will fly far so have some fun.
And finally, a few words of advice for your marketing from Sugru’s founder Jane:
“People love when they can get to know us as real people. So, the first thing I’d say is, be yourself and put yourself into the content. The second thing I’d say is around the fun part! There’s so much stuff out there these days, so make it educational or entertaining and fun if you want to stand out.”
Sugru’s content highlights
- Visit the gallery on Sugru’s About Us page. We love the inspiring customer stories of how Sugru won the day, and we think you will too.
- Check out the Sugru advent calendar (there’s a theme going on for our award winners here isn’t there!)
- And oh my, oh my! If you want a manual for a fulfilling fix life download the Joy of Fix poster here – http://sugru.com/joyoffix.