How do we get our message right?
“How do we describe ourselves on the website? What should our Twitter profile say? What do we say to attract the right clients? How do we decide what content to prioritise? How do I answer ‘and what do you do?’ at networking events?”
Why your message matters
If the right clients are going to be drawn to you, they have to understand you and know why you matter to them. A clear message is the foundation of your content strategy, and the driving force behind all your marketing activities. It’s what you say to the world. But how do you get it right?
Get it right
A strong, customer focused message will make it far easier for you to communicate what you do – on your website, on social media and to your own team. Having a compelling story of why your business exists, and why it matters will drive what you say and how you say it.
Get it wrong
You’ll get stuck writing your web copy, you’ll struggle on social media, you’ll be constantly re-inventing the wheel for every pitch, bid, presentation. You’ll hope nobody asks you to explain what you do, because it’s just too hard to explain succinctly.
The Valuable Content approach
So how do you get your message straight and uncover your business story? Here’s the Valuable Content approach:
- Start with the why. Why are you in business? What’s your purpose? Think hard about this at the beginning of the process.
- Look from the outside in. When it comes to creating a strong message the best place to start is outside in. Great business stories are customer focused, not inward looking. Talk to your clients, ask good questions and listen hard.
- Be clear on the what. What are you selling? Articulate this in the language your customers use. For example, you might think you’re selling complex technical services, but what your clients are buying from you is a simpler life
- Emotion and logic. The best messages appeal to head and heart. Pay attention to both to punch through the ‘so why does that matter to me?’ barrier.
- Tell a story that will stretch. From a three word strapline to an unforgettable elevator pitch to a #hashtag– your message needs to work across the board.
“Businesses with purpose create the best content.”
Hands on support to help you with your message
We’d love to help you uncover your business story and message at the heart of all you do. Here’s how we can help.
- Want to learn how to find your story? Join us at Pub School. We’ll show you how to get to the heart of your message and create content to get the word out.
- Looking for hands on help with your message? If you’re a business with a great idea and you could do with some expert help to communicate it, check out our Content Lab service.