What type of marketing collateral have you created for your business?
If you are like most businesses you will have a website, some case studies, maybe a brochure and hopefully some valuable content on your site such as articles, newsletters, guides or a blog. All of these elements are hugely important but, if you want your business to really stand apart from the crowd, there is another option for you to consider.
There is no better way to prove your expert status than to write and publish a business book. It is the jewel in the crown of credibility builders: the ultimate symbol of expertise. As an author you will be perceived as an authority and that gives you a huge advantage when it comes to sales. It’s the type of thought leadership that can turn your business around.
Here are seven ways that writing a book will bring you business advantage:
- A book will establish you as a credible expert in your field, proving your knowledge as a thought leader in what you do.
- This will make it easier for you to open doors, sell your services, motivate referrals and charge higher fees too.
- It ensures you are remembered – “your business card on steroids”, as one of my clients, now a published author, so aptly put is.
- A book will drive more inbound leads and enquiries: a good book has a life of its own, getting your name out there and spreading your message while you sleep.
- PR and speaking engagements will be easier to get: the ticket to higher profile opportunities.
- A book can bring you passive income: just how much depends on how much effort you put into marketing the book. It’s an opportunity to change your business model, to productise your business and create additional income streams too.
- You’ll get respect, as Charles H Green, co-author of best-selling ‘The Trusted Advisor‘ explains:
“It’s mechanically very simple to assemble a book but somehow your fame, your respect goes up considerably if you have a book to your name. If you give someone a book it’s five dollars of paper and cardboard marked up triple yet somehow it has this patina of ‘Oh my gosh, that’s wonderful! You gave me a book! Thank you!’ People respect it.”
Writing a book will bring you many business advantages. It is in no way the simple option as Sharon and I now well know, but it’s an investment that will bring huge benefit – for you and your business.
Isn’t it time you wrote it all down?
Other articles on writing a book:
- Start here – 12 questions to plan your book with clarity
- Publish or self-publish?
- Writing a book – interview with best-selling author Charles H. Green